Friday, January 27, 2012

¿Cómo¿ What?

I have one semester toward my future IT career [we hope :-)] under my belt. Well technically since only one of my classes was an actual computer class we will call it a 1/2 semester.

I started with Intro to Java and on my first day I was terrified. All my worst fears came true. The teacher started speaking and all I heard was Spanish. To make things worse everyone around me seemed to understand the Spanish he was speaking and actually call out answers! Now of course he wasn't really speaking in Spanish but he might as well have been because I don't know Spanish.

Lucky for me I quickly realized that the people in my class new this information for 2 reasons. Number one, some of them were smart and started with a CPT 104 class which apparently is the perfect prelude to this Java course. Number 2, some of them have been doing this IT stuff for years and are only coming to school to get the golden piece of paper that everyone wants you to have. So I put my fears aside cracked open my book and read a chapter. Before I knew it I was speaking Spanish and even calling out answers in class! I got an A in that course and have now started my second semester.

This time both of my classes are computer related: Object Oriented Programming with Visual Basics and Intro to Information Technology (the class I should have taken before Java). I again quickly realized that I was surrounded by men who already knew this stuff. My first day in Intro to IT and the guy next to me is playing pong but in a programming environment. We start a conversation and I learn his name is Benjamin (I happen to love that name. Shout out to my cat Ben!). Ben lets me know that he learned to program Pong and 5 other games in his high school computer class.  ¿Cómo¿ What?

Sigh. I am already behind the new wave of students coming out of high school. It let me know I am going to have to work hard but I am ready for the challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment